Sustainable mobility in the public space in the city of Maputo

13 November, 2017 | by ASFES

The city of Maputo, capital of Mozambique, has been living with an uncontrolled growth of its population for many years. Far from stabilizing, this fact increases even more, the inequality between a part of the rich population and the vast majority of citizens with few economic resources. Maputo, with its adjacent populations, has a low number of citizens in proportion to the large area of territory it occupies. This low density urban growth has been accompanied by a change in life models towards more consumerist dynamics. All this implies an exponential increase in the daily displacement in the metropolis for which the mobility system was not prepared.

The public transport Company of the city (EMTPM) satisfies only 20% of the demand while the remaining 80% is made by alternative transport operators popularly known as “Chapas”. This situation has ended up deriving in very unfavorable problems for the city of Maputo. They highlight the absence of labor and the fatigue of citizens, the inequality of access to the city’s resources and a major threat to health and personal integrity due to pollution. So far, the state has been unable to overcome this new scenario because of the precarious public budget and very inflexible structures that prevent a decent transport network from being offered.

Architecture without frontiers aims, in this project, to defend an access to the egalitarian city, under criteria of social equity, environmental sustainability and rationalization of resources. Among the various conflicts present in the system, it has been chosen to act in the improvement in the visibility and signaling of multiple transport stops. This option proves to be the most appropriate for the intentions and budgets of the city Council and the one that allows us to intervene in the improvement of the public space.

To develop this project, sensitization workshops have been given to several municipal technicians on the importance of a good mobility network and a good pedestrian space. It is thus, as, in conjunction with the technicians of the city Hall have chosen the stops to formalize. This election will make it possible to improve the reorganization and hierarchisation of the use of public space to prioritize pedestrians and public transport. On the other hand, an informative signal model has been designed for each stop to provide information on the public mobility network to the citizen. And finally, with the look in the future, you will choose a marquee model intended to be replicated at each stop to regulate the uncontrolled parking and the ascent and descent of passengers at each point.

We have worked on other projects in Mozambique such as hospital waste management in Inhambane


LOCATION(S)
,Maputo,Maputo Provincia,Mozambique